Native gardening: Sources of native plants for the San Gabriel Mountains chapter area
This page lists various sources in the area for native plants. Note that many of the nurseries are not dedicated exclusively to California natives, and many of them offer catalogs, seeds, and books as well as potted plants. If you are new to native gardening, see also our New to Natives page.
OUR CHAPTER'S ANNUAL PLANT SALE
See the Plant Sale page.
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden,1500 N College Ave, Claremont CA 91711; 909-625-8767. Open 7 days a week, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. except January 1, July 4, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. See entry below for their Grow Native Nursery.
- The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, 1212 Mission Canyon Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93105. See their web site for information about plant sales and other events.
- Fullerton Arboretum usually has a sale of California Natives in the fall; 1900 Associated Road at Yorba Linda Boulevard, Fullerton; 714-278-3579. See their web site for details.
- San Diego Botanic Garden, dedicated to the conservation of rare and endangered plants from across the globe including California; 230 Quail Gardens Drive, Encinitas CA; 760-436-3036. See their web site for current details.
RETAIL NURSERIES SPECIALIZING IN NATIVE PLANTS
- Las Pilitas Nursery, putting life back into California gardens since 1974; Old Highway 395 and Nelson Way, Escondido, CA 92026; 760-749-5930 or 3232 Las Pilitas Road, Santa Margarita, CA 93453; 805-438-5992
- Matilija Nursery, featuring Native Plants from California and the Southwest; 8225 Waters Road, Moorpark, CA 93021; 805-523-8604
- Grow Native Nursery at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, 1500 N College Ave, Claremont CA 91711-3157; 909-625-8767 ext. 404.
- Tarweed Native Plants, Glendale, a local neighborhood resource for native plants. For details, call 626-705-8993, or make an email enquiry.
- The Theodore Payne Nursery, 10459 Tuxford Street, Sun Valley, CA 91352; 818-768-1802
- Tree of Life Nursery, California Native Plants, limited retail hours; 33201 Ortega Highway, San Juan Capistrano, CA; 949-728-0685
Top of page
RETAIL NURSERIES THAT INCLUDE NATIVE PLANTS
The following nurseries carry primarily tradition plants, but also stock a selection of California natives.
- Bear State Nursery, 18161 Parthenia St. (at Lindley, across from U-haul dealer), Northridge, CA 91325; 818-277-1830, Tuesday-daturday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Bellefontaine Nursery, 838 S. Fair Oaks Ave, Pasadena, CA 91105; 626-796-0747
- San Gabriel Nursery & Florist, 632 South San Gabriel Blvd, San Gabriel, CA 91776; 626-286-3782
- Lincoln Avenue Nursery, 804 Lincoln Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91103
- Glendora Gardens Nursery, 1132 S. Grand Ave, Glendora, CA 91740, 626-914-6718
Top of page
- El Nativo Growers, Inc., specializes in high quality plants from California, Australia and other Mediterranean climates that thrive in our Southern California environment; 200 S. Peckham Rd., Azusa, CA 91702; 626-969-8449
- Mockingbird Nurseries, over 200 species and varieties of California natives, including desert and coastal plants, up to 15-gallon size; 1670 Jackson Street, Riverside, CA 92504; 951-780-3571
- Native Sons, Inc., produces a wider variety of plants in smaller container sizes for the rapidly expanding retail nursery trade, experiments with new selections with the intention of adding a sense of exploration and discovery to California gardens; 379 W. El Campo Road, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420; 805-481-5996
- San Marcos Growers, wholesale plant nursery growing plants appropriate to the Mediterranean climate including many California native plants; 125 South San Marcos Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93111; 805-683-1561
Top of page
SEEDS AND BOOKS BY MAIL ORDER
- Larner Seeds, Seeds of California's Native Plants, 235 Grove Road or P.O. Box 407, Bolinas, CA 94924; 415-868-9407
- S&S Seeds, a wholesale company providing wildflower, grass and California native plant seeds for reclamation, erosion control and landscape projects; P.O. Box 1275, Carpinteria, CA 93014-1275; 805-684-0436
- SeedHunt.com, unusual seeds for curious gardeners; P.O. Box 96, Freedom, CA 95019-0096
- The Theodore Payne Foundation for Wildflowers and Native Plants, Inc., 10459 Tuxford Street, Sun Valley, CA 91352; 818-768-1802
Top of page
ODDS AND ENDS
- Native plants for a California garden, gardening and landscaping with native plants, free online garden design by zip code using software provided by Las Pilitas; returns a plant list suitable for your area.
Top of page